Root canal treatment, one of the most feared dental procedures, involves removing the pulp from the center of the tooth and filling the cavity left behind. This procedure becomes necessary when a tooth begins to decay or if your dentist thinks that decay is imminent.
What to Expect During a Root Canal
If you’ve been told you need a root canal, you’re no doubt a bit nervous about the procedure. Undergoing any sort of intense dental procedure can cause extreme anxiety and worry. And everyone knows the best defense against worry and fear of the unknown is to learn all you can about the procedure. Once you know what to expect, you will be more comfortable with the procedure and more confident about receiving treatment.
1. Anesthetic – As with most other dental procedures, your dentist will numb the area with a local, topical anesthetic before injecting the area with additional numbing medicine. You can expect the entire area to feel numb including your teeth, gums, tongue, and skin.
2. Prep – Your dentist may prep the area by separating the tooth from the rest of your teeth with a shield.
3. Drilling – The next step involves removing all the pulp from the center of the tooth with a drill. After removing all the pulp, your dentist will place medicine, a temporary filling, and a final filling into the cavity.
4. Finishing – After most root canals, a permanent filling or crown is needed.
5. Aftercare – The pain resulting from a root canal procedure can last a couple of days. During this time, you can treat the pain with over-the-counter painkillers or prescription painkillers provided by your dentist.
Before undergoing a root canal, learn all you can about the procedure. At Bedford Dental Group you can be sure you will receive the best treatments in town. Our experienced and friendly staff are here to answer any questions you may have and put you at ease before any procedure. Once you’re armed with knowledge and in the hands of someone you trust, you will realize there is nothing to be worried about. For more information, contact us at 310.278.0600. We look forward to meeting you!