There are a number of things that may or may not help the overall health of your teeth. Although some tactics will surely help, there are others that surely won’t. Thus, when it comes to safeguarding your smile, only the top dentist in Beverly Hills could be considered your ally.
Here are 5 tips for keeping your teeth healthy and looking great.
- Eat and drink with a conscience – Red wine, black coffee, tar-colored cigarette smoke…like paint on a white canvas, anything dark in its “natural” state before you consume it will surely have a chance to stain your smile. Be mindful of these food items along with colas and other sugary foods because of their ability to erode tooth enamel and welcome tooth decay. Apples are known as “nature’s toothbrush” and carrots and celery clean teeth when eaten.
- Teeth are for chewing – Sounds simple in theory, but you’d be surprised by how many people use teeth for cracking nuts like pistachios, opening bottle tops, or doing something as seemingly harmless as ripping open packaging. All of the above can lead to chipping, breaking, or dislodging of teeth.
- Get Dr. friendly – Get to know your Beverly Hills dentist by making an appointment for check-up every 6 months. Such a routine consultation and cleaning will allow dentists to spot small problems before they become bigger annoyances. During your routine visits, dentists will remove the plaque your toothbrush can’t exterminate, while looking for warning signs of potentially more impactful issues.
- Twice is as nice – Yes, you must brush twice per day. Many people question the value of brushing in the morning, and really only do so because they want to rid bad breath. Actually, brushing when you wake up serves a crucial purpose. While you certainly aren’t eating during sleep-time, plaque and bacteria build up over night, and thus need to be removed before you start your day. Then of course, brushing at night removes everything you’ve accumulated during the day. And with saliva drying up during night, there won’t be any safeguard against cavity-causing plaque while you sleep.
- Just say no – Smoking was alluded to above, but due to its detrimental impact, it needs to be brought to the forefront. Tobacco easily stains teeth, and especially being addictive as it is, you could be putting yourself in years and maybe even a lifetime’s worth of harm. Not to mention the increased risk of cancer with every cigarette.
In the end, use common sense and don’t take your teeth for granted. The dentists at Bedford Dental Group are here to help and answer any questions or concerns you may have about your dental health.
For a free consultation, please contact us at 310.278.0600.